Environment: Re-Awakening Reverence for Mother Earth
The human brain now holds the key to our future. We have to recall the image of the planet from outer space: a single entity in which air, water, and continents are interconnected. That is our home. ~David Suzuki
Welcome to the Charter for Compassion page for Partners in the Environment sector. Here’s what you will find on this page:
- What role do those interested in the Environment play in supporting the global movement for compassion?
- How does an Environment Organization or Institution become a Partner of the Charter for Compassion ?
- What groups or organizations are already Partners in the Environment sector?
What role do those interested in the Environment play in supporting the global movement for compassion?
A World of Extremes
Now in the second decade of the twenty-first century, we find ourselves facing a number of extreme situations that were barely thought of a century ago:
- Oceans on the brink of catastrophe
- Ozone holes above the Arctic
- Melting glaciers and rising seas
- Increasingly violent or extreme weather
- More pollution in our air
- Genetic manipulation of plants, animals and food
- The desperate need for clean water
- An exploding world population
- Brutal treatment of domestic and wild animals
- Alarming, dwindling populations of bees, frogs, elephants, whales, and other species and an increase in mutations
An Urgent Call
Many of us—as individuals and in a variety of environmentally-based organizations, have understood the urgency of these extremes and the compelling need to take action.
The Environment sector of our movement includes individuals and partner organizations that have a passionate—and compassionate-- concern for the Earth and all life that inhabits and interconnects on our planet.
Whether it’s eco-economy, growing eco-municipalities, climate change, artificial agriculture, food production, political indifference or influence, the treatment of animals, land grabs and mismanagement, exploitation of the Indigenous, the distribution of scarce resources, double standards, abuse of power and authority, the trampling of human and civil rights--these issues all serve as indicators to the indifference that abdicates our human stewardship for the planet and all its sentient life.
How does an Environment Organization or Institution become a Partner of the Charter for Compassion ?
The Charter for Compassion serves as a network to connect and encourage communication among the many and varied activities focused on treating our Earth with compassion.
We ask those who are interested to affirm the Charter and become a Partner to join in to share ideas, plans, and actions with others also working to make a difference to this place we all call home-- the third planet from the sun
What groups or organizations are already Partners in the Environment sector?
Explore Our Resources
Connect with other Charter Environment Partners, check out our Environment newsletters and reports on conference calls, and read articles in our Environment Compassion Reader and review books in our annotated bibliography. Please let us know about other resources that should appear in this section.